Monday, September 28, 2015

"A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke: Kairos

Sam Cooke’s “A Change is Gonna Come” was released in 1964, amidst the African American Civil Rights movement.  He was inspired to write this song because of his own experiences with the racism at the time, including being turned away from a whites only motel.  He wrote this song to speak to his own struggle and the struggle of all African Americans at the time with lyrics that they can relate to and use as motivation such as, "I go to the movie and I go down town somebody keep telling me don't hang around."  The timing of his song was fitting, as it became an anthem for the movement.  The tone is one of hope and positivity for the future through its lyrics such as, “It's been a long, a long time comin but I know a change gon' come, oh yes it will.”  The civil rights movement had already begun well before this song and it's lyrics came out but the hopeful tone gave an extra push for change, "There been times that I thought I couldn't last for long But now I think I'm able to carry on."
-Julia

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your opinion that Sam Cooke wrote this song about his own experiences and those of others just like him who struggled with racism. The song set an inspirational tone and sort of became an American Civil Rights Movement anthem as you said in your post. I wonder if Sam Cooke would have guessed that this song not only resonated with African Americans but also with whites as well. I am certain that even though whites had it easier in the 1960s, surely not all were lucky enough to live a fabulous life and maybe this song inspired them as well. I would be interested in finding out more on that. What's amazing is how relevant this song still is to this day. We could argue that this song's timing could be perfect for today because of the serial shootings of unarmed African Americans. The optimism in his song may inspire others to make a change happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well that Sam Cooke wrote this song for the people who had to endure racism. Knowing that his personal experiences inspired this song gives it a deeper and more impactful meaning. The timing of this song was definitely spot on. I also agree with Casey that this song is relevant in today's society; everyone has a struggle they must fight to overcome and to make a change.

    ReplyDelete